Saturday, September 5, 2009

remeber this?

i am sitting here working on my blogs and catching up when i realized what was on t.v.
i looked up and saw that flashdance was on tv. i have seen that movies a million times. i know it word for word, had the soundtrack, and most of all remember when i saw it and how that night my life changed.
it was july 1982 on a summer sunday night when i walked into the theater with by friend, julie.
we were at the old orchard movie heater and it was opening weekend of the movie. i remember her mom had dropped us off and my mom was picking us up. at the time i had no idea my grandfather was being taken to the hospital while jennifer beales was acting and her body double was dancing.
we get out and we see julie's mom. i was a bit dumbfounded of why she was there and were in the heck was my own mother. julie's mom said that they had taken my grandfather to the hospital because he broke his shoulder. i really did not think anything was wrong at the time and we drove home chatting about the movie. when i got home no one was there, which i thought was a bit strange but sill unfazed i went to sleep.
the next morning my mom comes in to wake me and told me that grandpa was in the hospital, he did hurt his shoulder and kept him over night for observation. for some reason i got the feeling that mom was not telling me everything. at the time she was telling me this, my grandfather had just finished speaking to my grandmother and as he hung up the phone he had a heart attack. he was stabilized and on the way to i.c.u when he had a coronary.
this was the beginning to the end.
for the next four weeks he lived in the hospital. we were all there everyday and this is how i learned to be a professional hospital visitor. at 12 1/2 i had my role in the hospital.
we would sit with grandpa, telling him funny stories, reading all of his get well cards that poured in and praying he would come home soon. for a while it did look like he would. then one day i think he overheard my grandmother and my father's sister say that he would never practice dentistry again. i think once he heard that he lost all will to live.
my grandfather was in his 80's and still cleaning and pulling teeth. he had worked that friday before he went to the hospital. while he was there he had 2 hear attacks, 1 coronary and a stroke which left his right side of the body somewhat paralyzed. with the left shoulder broken and no function on the right, there would be no more cleaning and pulling.
it was a tuesday night. tuesday august 9th to be exact and julie had called to see if i wanted to go see flashdance with her again. i said no and just wanted to stay home. my parents were having an argument because my dad lost his car keys and no clue where they were. finally they left to the hospital. about an hour later my dad came back and was still looking for his keys. i don't know if they were found, i just remember him being upset and did not answer my question how grandpa was or where was mom. then he left again.
another hour passes and my mom and cousin jancie walked in the house. first my mom asked if dad was here and i told her what happen. she asked me if he said anything and i said no and what is going on. janice and mom told me and my sister grandpa had just died.
they told us that we were all going to my grandmother's and maybe dad would be there.
from what i was told dad was the last one in the room when grandpa took his last breath.
with that he walked out and walked home. my dad did not say a word when he came home nor did he tell my mom he was leaving.
i remember going to my grandmother's and dad was there. that's when it struck me, today was august 9th and my father's birthday was the next day.
from that time on when ever i see flashdance, i think of that night and the weeks after.
it's weird what you remember from childhood. i still remember the last time i saw my grandfather, he was in his coffin and they shaved his little moustache off. from them on seeing a relative in a coffin would forever freak me out. so a good movie has some bittersweet memories.
the first movie i saw was with my grandmother. grease with john travolta and olivia newton-john. i was about 7 or 8 and my sister was 5 when grandma took us to see it.
i know that was probably not the best movie to take a child too but in those days pg 13 did not exist. i remember the big tub of popcorn she got us to share. we had a good time that day. i remember grandma falling asleep durning the movie too.
grease is on after flashdance tonight and my childhood is running through my head.




No comments:

Post a Comment